#1 Award Winning Environmental Design and Building Business on the South Coast.
About True North Design
I formed True North Design Co in the year 2000 as the culmination of nearly 30 years involvement in the home building and design industry, in order to provide a higher standard of design that responds more intelligently to the Australian environment, climate and our modern lifestyles.
I have always had a keen interest in the evolution of buildings and their design. New materials come onto the market almost daily and many of these new products have resulted in higher efficiencies in the construction time, comfort and durability of homes that were simply not possible using older techniques and materials.
Despite these new and exciting possibilities, many of the lessons of sound and intelligent building design have simply been forgotten or displaced by the current fashions of the day. With True North Design my goal was to deliver excellence through both uncompromising design but also a more intelligent use of materials, space and the optimised use natural light, energy and water as well as responding to our environment in both our immediate surrounds as well as in our broader social responsibility.
Positive initiatives by the government and its agencies like S.E.D.A. (Sustainable Energy Development Authority) and the Australian Greenhouse Office have meant that many states and councils throughout Australia now require energy rating certification for all new buildings and renovations.
In some states, even owners of older homes for sale must provide a certificate to prospective purchasers. This certificate usually gives a good indication as to the comfort level for any building.
At the other end of the spectrum, new homes and additions designed with optimal design principles and efficient use of materials can often reach the highest rating of 5 stars. This ensures a very comfortable home with minimal expenditure on heating and cooling and brings the added benefit of a premium resale value if you ever put your home on the market.
The Housing Industry Association through its P.A.T.H.E. Program (Partnership Advancing The Housing Environment) program and the new GeenSmart initiative have formulated a management plan for builders to produce outstanding homes for Australians, providing one of the best returns in home ownership in the medium to long term for families.
It is within the framework of this sustainable management plan that True North Design Co operates by providing designs that are ideally suited to your particular site, your family’s needs and your budget.
True North Design Co
Awards for Excellence In Environmental Design & Construction
- 2008 – Winner Shoalhaven Building Design Awards – Best Practice in Building Sustainability
- 2008 – Finalist HIA South Coast Housing Awards – Most Innovative Use of Steel
- 2006 – Winner Shoalhaven Building Design Awards – Environmental Innovation
- 2006 – Winner HIA South Coast Housing Awards – Energy Efficient Housing
- 2006 – Finalist – HIA CSR ACT & Southern NSW Housing Awards – Energy Efficient Housing
- 2004 – Winner Shoalhaven Building Design Awards Environmental Innovation
- 2004 – Finalist HIA GreenSmart Awards Building of the Year
- 2003 – Finalist HIA Prime Television ACT/Southern NSW Housing Awards Coastal Home of the Year
- 2003 – Finalist HIA GreenSmart Awards Professional of the Year
- 2002 – Finalist HIA Prime Television ACT/Southern NSW Housing Awards Renovations/Additions $150 000 to $300,000
- 2002 – Finalist HIA Prime Television ACT/Southern NSW Housing Awards Coastal Home of the Year
- 2001 – Finalist HIA Prime Television ACT/Souther NSW Housing Awards Coastal Home of the Year